Thursday, February 14, 2008

Without A Candidate



I have been waiting to make my first post in the Roberts Family Blog and I feel that now is the time to make this important post. Many have asked me, "Who do I support now that Mitt Romney has dropped out of the race?" As of right now I would say that I am a Republican without a candidate. I am just not even close to sold on anyone. After putting in 100's of hours as the Texas Grassroots Chairman for Romney in Texas I don't have anyone that I want to give that time to again. We all know that John McCain is going to be the nominee, but I will get to him in a minute. First, I will start with Mike Huckabee, the man who says he majored in miracles in college. We all know that the presidency is much more than cool one-liners and standing strong on the social issues. Actual decisions about taxes, spending, defense and other important policy issues will have to be decided each and every day. Other world leaders and staff members will not want to have the questions on what to do answered by,"well, my momma always said you can't put the cart before the horse." Then we get to his stance on having the so-called "fair tax" that calls for abolishing the IRS and having an across the board 26 or so % sales tax on all consumer goods. For this many, including me, ask "What about the tax breaks for owning your own home, children, education, health care etc.?" This tax would discourage home ownership and all of the the other things that build personal wealth and strong families in our country. In this interest of time I will explain my reasoning for John McCain. While I have a deep gratitude for all those who serve our country, like my Paw Paw Valton in WWII, I don't believe that this can be a driving force to be our President. McCain gives across a moral arrogance that is second to none. When asked in a debate why he was better suited than Governor Romney to lead our economy in the right direction in the world McCain said, "I was a prisoner of war for five years and served our country for 22 years." While that is admirable and makes for the qualities of leadership, a president must be able to understand and direct complex issues of domestic fiscal & economic policy that requires more than being in the Navy. Also, while a wealthy man himself through marriage and his own efforts, McCain would not let up on the money Romney had earned in the private sector. This is a lack of respect for others hard work that baffles me. And lastly McCain must prove he is actually a Republican with regards to tax cuts, immigration, and spending. This election continues to be interesting, but I am sorry to say that the best person for the job has already stepped down and until further notice I am a Republican without a candidate.